Local chapter update: Apply for continuing education units (CEUs)
Local chapters and networking groups should seek to obtain continuing education units (CEUs) for the Certified Clinical Documentation Specialist (CCDS) and CCDS-Outpatient (CCDS-O) credentials from ACDIS for their scheduled meetings. The application is available to download from the ACDIS website and must be completed 30 days prior to the scheduled chapter meeting.
The completed application can be emailed to ACDIS Associate Editorial Director Melissa Varnavas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
After ACDIS reviews and approves the application, we will provide the CEU certificate for the leaders to print and disseminate to attendees. If necessary, ACDIS will also provide an explanation of why the application was declined or needs to be revised.
The chapter leadership team should delegate someone to handle this process. All CEU applications must come from a member of the leadership team. Please do not relegate this responsibility the event host or event speakers. This requirement is meant to ensure the integrity of the application process and to eliminate confusion, duplication, and errors within the process.
Please also assign a member of the leadership team to deliver the CEU certificates to the meeting attendees. This may be done by printing the certificates and handing them to attendees at the close of an in-person event. It may also be done electronically via email following the completion of an online evaluation form or membership roster. Leaders should discuss a process for this and add a description of this process to the chapter’s formal policies and procedures.
ACDIS cannot assist in the application process for other association CEUs. Chapter leaders seeking to obtain CEUs from the American Nursing Association, American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), American Academy of Professional Coders, or other organization should reach out to those groups for further information. Some may allow the CCDS/CCDS-O CEUs to crossover, some may charge a fee for CEU applications and processing. For example, according to AHIMA’s website:
“Q: Can I use CEUs earned through organizations other than AHIMA?
A: Yes, provided they qualify as valid continuing education activities and are relevant to HIIM. See page 6 of the Recertification Guide for qualifying activities for details.”
The following is a list of upcoming events for ACDIS local chapters. If you have an upcoming event you would like to include, please email Carolyn Riel (email@example.com).
- The Ohio ACDIS chapter meets Friday, July 10, 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., at Atrium Medical Center Friday. For information, contact Brittani Winkler (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Kentucky/Southern Indiana ACDIS chapter meets Thursday, July 16, 11:30-12:30 p.m. central, via webinar. For information, contact Lisa Fuller (Lisa.Fuller@bhsi.com).
- The Westchester/Hudson Valley ACDIS chapter meets Thursday, July 16. More details to follow. For information, contact Kerry Seekircher (email@example.com)
- The Texas ACDIS chapter meets Wednesday, July 22, 12 p.m., via webinar on denials management. This event is open to all ACDIS local chapter members. For information, contact Jacqueline Melsha (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Central Pennsylvania ACDIS chapter meets Friday, July 24, via a Zoom meeting hosted by Penn State Health. For information, contact Deanne Wilk email@example.com.
- The Maryland ACDIS chapter meets Friday, August 21, via webinar. More details to follow. For information, contact Deborah McClain (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Arizona ACDIS chapter meets Saturday, August 22, for a half-day event. More details to follow. For information, contact Sydni Johnson (Sydni.Johnson@bannerhealth.com)
- The Ohio ACDIS chapter meets Thursday, August 27, 12-1 p.m., via webinar. For information, contact Maria Johar (Maria.Johar@ensemblehp.com)
- The CDI educator networking group meets Friday, September 18, for an event titled "New CDI Orientation Process at Banner Health". For information, contact Coral Fernandez (Coral.Fernandez@BHSI.com).
- The Maryland ACDIS chapter meets Friday, September 18, via webinar for the Annual Conference. More details to follow. For information, contact Deborah McClain (email@example.com).
- The Arizona ACDIS chapter meets Friday, October 16, 12-1:15 p.m., via webinar for a Lunch and Learn event. For information, contact Sydni Johnson (Sydni.Johnson@bannerhealth.com)
- The California ACDIS Chapter sixth annual conference slated Friday, October 30, has been canceled. Click here for the full update. For information, contact Rani Stoddard (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Arizona ACDIS chapter meets Friday, December 4, 12 p.m., via webinar for a Lunch and Learn event. For information, contact Sydni Johnson (Sydni.Johnson@bannerhealth.com)