News: CMS releases new infographic on Z codes and SDOH
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has released a new infographic containing information regarding Z codes and social determinants of health (SDOH), according to ICD-10monitor.
The infographic comes on the heels of CMS’ new SDOH rules released in early August and, as stated by ICD-10monitor, is meant to “assist providers with understanding and using SDOH terminology in their documentation that will allow for greater alignment for ICD-10-CM Z code capture.”
The first page of the infographic provides the fundamentals of Z codes and SDOH in a flowchart. Each bullet or ‘stop’ on the flowchart’s path is punctuated by key questions and answers, and/or topics and descriptions, such as: “what are Z codes,” “what are SDOH and why collect them,” “using Z codes for SDOH,” and “ICD-10-CM Z codes updates.”
On the second page of the infographic, there is a bulleted list of recently added SDOH code categories, as well as the new codes that were issued this past August.
Here are a few of the new and key codes:
- Z55.6 – Problems related to health literacy
- Z58.8 – Other problems related to physical environment
- Z58.81 – Basic services unavailable in physical environment
- Z58.89 – Other problems related to physical environment
- Z59.10 – Inadequate housing, unspecified
- Z59.11 – Inadequate housing environmental temperature
- Z59.12 – Inadequate housing utilities
- Z59.12 – Other inadequate housing