News: U.S. News & World Report 2019-2020 hospital rankings released, Mayo tops the list again
For the fourth straight year, the Mayo Clinic sits atop the U.S. News & World Report’s 20 Best Hospitals rankings.
The 30th annual version of widely read rankings—which this year updated its methodology to emphasis outcomes, patient experience, and risk adjustment—featured mostly the same top 20 hospitals that made the list in year's past, HealthLeaders Media reported.
The hospitals were ranked on 12 specialties:
- Cardiology and heart surgery
- Diabetes and endocrinology
- Ear, nose, and throat
- Gastroenterology and GI surgery
- Neurology and neurosurgery
- Pulmonology and lung surgery
The study evaluated nearly every community hospital in the nation. Only 165 hospitals out of more than 4,500 were nationally ranked in one specialty, while 569 were ranked among the Best Regional Hospitals in a state or metro area based on their performance in delivering complex and common care, U.S. News said.
Here are the 2019-2020 Best Hospitals Honor Roll top 10. The numbers in parentheses are the 2018-2019 rankings.
- Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota (1)
- Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston (4)
- Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore (3)
- Cleveland Clinic in Ohio (2)
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell in New York City
- UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles (7)
- UCSF Medical Center in San Francisco (6)
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles (8)
- NYU Langone Hospitals in New York City (15)
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, Illinois (13)