News: AHIMA and AHA update ICD-10-CM coding FAQs for COVID-19
Originally published near the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic’s toll on the United States, the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and American Hospital Association (AHA) have updated their list of FAQs related to coding COVID-19.
While the list now includes 37 questions, the most recent 11 were added recently added this month. These added questions include the following coding scenarios:
- Readmission due to pneumothorax after previous diagnosis of COVID-19
- Discharge diagnoses pulmonary embolism and/caused by COVID-19
- Prior COVID-19 nursing home patient admitted to skilled nursing facility
- Guillian-Barre Syndrome as a complication of COVID-19
- Continued treatment of acute hypoxic respiratory failure due to COVID-19
- Deconditioning for generalized debility due to prolonged hospitalization for COVID-19
- Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) due to COVID-19
The full list of AHIMA and AHA COVID-19 FAQs can be found here.
Editor’s note: To read all of ACDIS’ coverage of the COVID-19 pandemic, click here. Also, make sure to stay tuned to the ACDIS Podcast: Talking CDI in the coming weeks as ACDIS Director Brian Murphy hosts a show on MIS-C presentation and diagnosis! You can subscribe for free to listen live by clicking here.