Note from the Director of Programming: It’s a new year for ACDIS
by Rebecca Hendren
It doesn’t make much sense from a calendar perspective, but I always regard the ACDIS conference as the end of our professional year and therefore the time to write new goals. In part, this is because we start actively planning for the next conference as soon as one has finished, but mainly because I return having spent several days engaged in glorious conversations with ACDIS members and CDI professionals. These conversations provide ideas and encouragement to work on new initiatives for our members and the CDI community.
2022 was no different. I participated in enlightening conversations with attendees from across the country and from all backgrounds. I listened to interesting sessions with organizations sharing their stories and lessons learned. I laughed and cried through keynote speakers who encouraged me and provided practical tips.
One keynote speaker I keep returning to is Judi Holler and her admonition that being brave isn’t about not feeling fear. It’s about feeling the fear and choosing courage, so that the fear doesn’t stop you. Which undoubtedly hit home for an audience who has largely come from another career and made the brave choice to choose a new start with CDI. I am endeavoring to carry that mantra forward as ACDIS begins our new year.
My goals for the rest of 2022 and beyond are to:
- Support overextended, often burned-out professionals
- Demonstrate the extraordinary opportunities in CDI to bring more people into the profession
- Promote diversity and inclusion and recognize we are stronger when there are many voices at the table
- Build professional development opportunities to help our members grow both professionally and personally
- Cultivate partnerships across the revenue cycle to recognize the valuable contribution of CDI
- Most importantly, listen to our members and respond to what they need
Do you have a time in the year when you feel a reset? I’d love to hear what your goals are for the rest of the year and into 2023. You can write to me at email@example.com.
Editor’s note: Hendren is the director of programming for ACDIS. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.