Conference corner: Things to do in your ACDIS 2019 downtime
This year’s conference, which happens May 20-23, will be held at the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center in Kissimmee, Florida. The resort offers attendees a wide range of activities to fill their conference downtime. Whether you’re staying an extra day, or just need some afterhours relaxation, here are a few of our suggestions to fill your time.
Attend the after-hours Closing Night Awards Reception:
- ACDIS plans to keep the CDI celebration going even longer on the last full evening of the conference with an optional Closing Night Awards Reception. The reception celebrates the Achievement Award winners at the Coquina Lawn in the resort and will take place Wednesday, May 22, 5-6:30 p.m. Tickets are $25 in advance and can be purchased with your conference registration or afterwards through customer service. Click here for more info.
Enjoy the resort’s many restaurants, such as:
- Old Hickory Steakhouse: Overlooking the Everglades Atrium of the resort, enjoy their locally sourced menu while amongst the ponds and local plant life.
- Moor: If you’re in the mood for seafood, head to Moor and enjoy the view of the resort’s lagoon.
- Villa de Flora: For a casual atmosphere, make your way to the St. Augustine Atrium and checkout Villa de Flora’s Mediterranean buffet that was named the Critic’s Choice for Best Brunch by the Orlando Sentinel.
- Wreckers Sports Bar: If you’re looking for a place to grab a drink and appetizer while watching a game, this is the place to go. Plus, the bar features a two-story high screen for live sporting events.
- SandBar: If you’re traveling with your family and small children, or just want to grab a quick sandwich, this one’s a great option for you. It’s located right next to the pool.
- Socio: Inspired by Cuban cuisine, this is a great place for those who enjoy cocktails and small plates. If you’re looking for a swanky place to grab a quick nightcap, head on over.
Take advantage of the resort amenities, such as:
- Ralâche Spa: After a long day of conference sessions, networking, and walking around the exhibit hall, indulge in a relaxing spa treatment. Whether you’re in the mood for a massage, facial, manicure, or pedicure, you’ll find something on the spa’s menu to help you relax.
- Cypress Springs Water Park and South Beach: If you’re traveling with children, add the Cypress Springs Water Park to your agenda. If you’re looking for a more adult pool experience, head to the South Beach Adult Pool for some relaxation and sunshine.
- Alligator Grunt Feedings: What’s the fun of a tropical atrium without live alligators, right? If you’re in the mood for the full Florida experience, go take a look at the baby alligators.
In addition to the “on-campus” activities outlined above (and more onsite), ACDIS attendees have access to special discounted rates at the following local attractions:
- Magic Kingdom Park®
- Disney's Hollywood Studios®
- Disney's Animal Kingdom®
- Disney Springs ®
- Disney's Blizzard Beach ® and Disney's Typhoon Lagoon ®
- Universal Studios Florida®
- Universal's Islands of Adventure®
- I-Drive 360
- Orlando Premium Outlets Shopping Mall
- Kennedy Space Center
To purchase discounted tickets to the Disney parks, click here or call 407-566-5600 by May 19.