Local chapter update: Massachusetts chapter meeting success, other meetings on the horizon
Last week, ACDIS Editor Linnea Archibald and Associate Editor Carolyn Riel joined the Massachusetts ACDIS local chapter for their fall meeting at Boston Children’s Hospital. The event, taking cues from the location, focused on pediatric CDI concerns and was a great success.
First, Amy Sanderson, MD, took to the podium to share information about common troublesome pediatric diagnoses and documentation tips to help CDI professionals decipher these records, write effective queries, and educate physicians.
Then, chapter co-leader Keisha Downes gave chapter members a high-level overview of the changes finalized in the fiscal year 2020 inpatient prospective payment system (IPPS) final rule, noting how few changes were actually finalized after the panic-inducing proposal. “We were all worried about the proposed changes, but it was like Y2K,” she said.
Before ceding the floor to the final speaker, the chapter leadership team gave away a number of ACDIS prizes in a raffle drawing—including several books, tote bags, notebooks, and pens. (Remember, chapter leaders are entitled to a certain number of giveaway items free of charge from ACDIS under the Local Chapter Agreement Form.)
Finally, Corrina McFarland, MBA, presented on the CDI-related research the pediatric CDI team at Boston Children’s has been working on over the past couple years. Since presenting on the topic at the ACDIS 2019 conference earlier this year, the team at Boston Children’s has begun seeking publication for their projects and encourages others to tackle projects of their own. “When someone Googles CDI, we want them to find solid, peer-reviewed research,” McFarland said.
While Archibald and Riel were only able to attend the Massachusetts meeting last week, several other chapters also hosted fall events in the past week and there are many autumnal events just around the corner. ACDIS Associate Editorial Director Melissa Varnavas heads to California next week and Director of Enterprise Education & Training Caison Morisey heads to Texas for their meeting.
Take a look at the list below and join the fun. If you have an event upcoming and don’t see it listed below, make sure to contact us.
The following is a list of upcoming events for ACDIS local chapters. If you have an upcoming event you would like to include, please email Melissa Varnavas (email@example.com) and Linnea Archibald (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Westchester/Hudson Valley ACDIS chapter meets Thursday, October 17, 2-4 p.m., at Northern Westchester Hospital. Click here to download the event flyer. To RSVP and for information, contact the chapter leadership team (email@example.com).
- Missouri’s three ACDIS chapters meet Saturday, October 19, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at the Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center in Columbia, for the fourth annual Show Me State Conference. Click here to download the event flyer. Click here to download the welcome letter, which includes instructions for registration. For information, contact Karen Elmore (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Colorado ACDIS chapter meets Thursday, October 24, 3:30 p.m. at Boulder Community Health in Boulder. For information, contact Rachel Mack (email@example.com).
- The Oregon ACDIS chapter holds a joint meeting with OrHIMA Friday, October 25, at Linn Co. Fairgrounds Albany, featuring ACDIS Advisory Board member Erica Remer. For information, contact Bonita Quinn (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Washington Evergreen ACDIS chapter meets Friday, October 25, at Overlake Medical Center in Bellevue. More details to follow. For information, contact the chapter leadership team (evergreenACDIS@gmail.com).
- The California ACDIS chapter meets Friday, October 25, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the University of California, Davis. To register and save your spot, click here. Click here to download the save-the-date flyer. For information, contact Rani Stoddard (email@example.com).
- The Texas ACDIS chapter meets Friday, October 25, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Click here to download the event flyer. For information, contact Kristie Alexander (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Wisconsin ACDIS chapter meets Saturday, October 26, in Milwaukee. More details to follow. For information, contact Joan Korn (Joan.Korn@ascension.org).
- The Arizona ACDIS chapter meets Wednesday, October 30, 5:30-7:30 p.m., at Mimi's Cafe at Desert Ridge. Click here to download the event flyer. During the meeting, the chapter will discuss the September/October edition of the CDI Journal. For information, contact Jamie Rygiel (JRygiel@yrmc.org).
- The Philadelphia/New Jersey/Delaware ACDIS chapter meets Wednesday, November 6, 7:45 a.m. to 4 p.m., at Jefferson Torresdale Hospital in Philadelphia. For information, contact Gina Stewart (email@example.com).
- The Tennessee ACDIS chapter meets Friday, November 8, 8:30 a.m., at Parkridge Medical Center in Chattanooga. For information, contact Kristie Perry (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Central New York ACDIS chapter meets Friday, November 15, 1-4 p.m., at St. Joseph's Health Hospital in Syracuse. Click here to download the event flyer. For information, contact Dawn Burr (email@example.com).
- The California ACDIS chapter meets Wednesday, November 20, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., via webinar. For information, contact Rani Stoddard (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Arizona ACDIS chapter and the CDI Educators networking group meet Friday, November 22, 12-1 p.m., via webinar. Click here to download the event flyer. For information, contact Jamie Rygiel (JRygiel@yrmc.org).
- The North Carolina ACDIS chapter meets Friday, November 22, 7:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., for their fall conference at Artrium Health in Charlotte. Click here to read the full agenda. For information, contact the chapter leadership team (email@example.com).
- The Kansas City, Missouri, ACDIS chapter meets Wednesday, December 4, 2-3 p.m. central, via webinar. For information, contact Angelica Naylor (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Chapter Advisory Board invites chapter leaders and members to join them for a panel discussion on Thursday, December 12, 12-1 p.m., via webinar. Click here to register.